Each week during the Whole Life Challenge, you’re presented with a new Lifestyle Practice to try.
Lifestyle Practices are exercises in practical mindfulness — guiding you to pay attention to your thoughts, your relationships, and your automatic actions, and to alter them as needed to live a calmer, more connected lifestyle.
The Lifestyle Practices span categories throughout your life, including improving your personal relationships, increasing productivity, doing the things you love, serving others, connecting with your thoughts and feelings, expressing gratitude, and examining your relationship with technology.
The end result of these Practices vary for each person, but all of them are aimed at creating personal awareness and mindfulness, allowing you to determine if a given Practice deserves an ongoing place in your life.
A few examples:
- One of our favorite Lifestyle Practices is to limit exposure to social media during mealtimes, when with friends, or completely for a set period of time, helping you understand the impact that constantly checking Facebook, Instagram, and the like can have on your mental state.
- We also like to include a meditative practice in each Challenge, inviting you to be still and spend time with your thoughts, learning for yourself whether this type of activity leads to stress reduction, insight, or other positive outcomes.
- Other Lifestyle Practices include de-cluttering your home, keeping a journal of some sort, reaching out to friends and loved ones, and including gratitude in your thoughts. These are just examples — for a more comprehensive look at potential Lifestyle Practices, you can visit the past catalog here.
As you approach the Lifestyle Practices, there are a few things worth understanding:
First, there are 8 Lifestyle Practices presented during each Challenge. You should think of this as a “survey course” in potential practices, giving you exposure to a variety of different options in areas you haven’t yet explored. In other words, we’re going to show you a bunch of activities that have improved our lives, and invite you to try them.
Because each Lifestyle Practice is an invitation, you don’t necessarily need to try each one — but you’ll will still need to perform the Practice of your choice each week to earn your 5 daily points on the Whole Life Challenge scoreboard.
In making your choice of Lifestyle Practice, consider the following advice:
- Once you choose your Lifestyle Practice for the week, stick with it for 7 days.The Practices can seem difficult (and perhaps odd) at first, and only through sufficient repetition will you begin to see whether each is benefitting you. Don’t give up early.
- If this is your first or second Whole Life Challenge, try all 8 Lifestyle Practices as presented. This will give you exposure to a variety of approaches to mindfulness, allowing you to properly understand all of the options available to you.
- If a Lifestyle Practice strikes a nerve, perhaps leading you to reject it out of hand, it may be an indication that you need to try it (rather than put it aside). Some of our profoundest personal realizations have come from pursuing something we “didn’t want to do” — things like meditating, shutting off our phones, and keeping a daily goals journal.
- The point of the Lifestyle Practices is to find one (or two) that you can bring into real life, beyond the bounds of the Challenge, bringing mindfulness to your ongoing experience. As such, treat each potential Lifestyle Practice as an adventure, and be conscious about how it might fit into your daily routine if you find it properly beneficial.
- If you’re a Whole Life Challenge veteran, and you’ve adopted a Lifestyle Practice that makes a real difference in your life (or would like to concentrate on turning a single Practice into a habit), feel free to pursue the same Lifestyle Practice every day for 56 days. Or to try new Practices for two weeks at a time. Or to rediscover the joy of variety by trying all 8. The only criteria for our veterans to earn daily points is that you’re choosing a Lifestyle Practice each week, and you’re keeping with it for 7 days.
Of course, if you have any questions about the Lifestyle Practices, you can email us email@example.com or use the Live Chat feature on any of our web pages (please leave a message if we're not live at the moment) or even text us with your support questions at 310-596-4093. We’d love to hear from you!
Enjoy the Challenge (and the Practices)!
- The Whole Life Challenge Team